A delicious Pakistani/Indian vegetarian dish that is made with spiced rice and potatoes. This is one of my favorite childhood meals. It’s a classic South Asian comfort meal put together with simple ingredients. This dish has many variations across the region and also goes by a few different names. Recipes always change and adapt to palates, so experiment with different vegetables be creative and make it your own. I hope you enjoy this easy rice option. Watch the full detailed video below.
This recipe is actually very simple. I make few variations of this dish by adding frozen mix vegetables and spinach. It’s a great way to add vegetables to rice.
I do not soak the rice I use, but some types of rice do require soaking. But I do always rinse the rinse, it makes the rice fluffy.
Always keep in mind to check rice towards the end of cooking time. You want the rice to cook in the steam.
It makes a great side dish. We love to enjoy it with side of some yogurt seasoned with salt/black pepper & cilantro. And a fresh salad.
- 1 cup Basmati rice, rinsed
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1 tsp. fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp, cumin seeds, few cloves, few brown cardamom, bay leaf
- 1 tsp, garam masala, cumin powder, salt
- ½ tsp, red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Use a medium heavy bottom nonstick pan. I like to use nonstick pans for cooking rice.
- Make sure to have all ingredients ready before starting to cook.
- Heat oil on medium heat and add the whole spices. Let these saute in the hot oil for about 10-15 seconds, make sure they don't burn.
- Add chopped onions, let these get light golden brown (about 3 minutes) than add the garlic and saute for about 10 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and powder spices, mix well and let this mixture cook till the tomatoes have cooked down, you will start to see oil separate (about 5 minutes)
- Add potatoes and 1 cup of water. Let it cook for about 10 minutes, the potatoes will be cooked half way.
- Add rinsed rice and 1½ cups of water. Cook on med/low till most of water has evaporated. Once you start to see the rice thru and majority of water has evaporated cover the pot tightly and turn heat to lowest. Cook for another 15-20 minutes. Always check rice towards end of cooking time.
- Fluff with a fork & garnish with chopped cilantro