I wanted to share a very light healthy recipe today. Adding a fish like Salmon to your weekly menu is a great way to boost essential nutrients. Fish in general has lower calories and saturated fat compared to other meats. It’s a good source of protein, fatty acids, essential vitamins and minerals. There is also no need for tenderizing or marinating fish, so that makes it prefect for a quick healthy weeknight meal that is full of flavor.
You can use any fish you prefer.
Try to use a non-stick pan because fish has a tendency of sticking to the pan.
Make sure not to overcook the fish. For cut up pieces you only need about 2-3 minutes on each side. Fillets can be cooked in pan on medium high for about 4 minutes each side. Make sure to crisp up the skin side.
Keep in mind a marinade with heavy vinegar/citrus will start to cook the fish after 30 minutes, that results in a mushy fish.
This was on the mild side. If you would like it spicy adjust the chili powder.
I used corn tortillas, you can use flour tortillas or even naan.
Pico de Gallo is a relish-like salsa from Mexico. It’s made with few fresh ingredients like tomatoes, onion, cilantro,lime and jalapeno. It’s quick and healthy, a great way to use with many recipes.
Enjoy the tandoori fish with a side of rice, naan. pita or with brown rice.
I was able to get out 6 tacos with this recipe.
- 1 lb. salmon, cut into 2-3 inch chunks
- 3-4 garlic cloves, grated/minced
- 1 lemon, juice
- 2 tbsp. yogurt
- ½ tsp. red chili powder (adjust)
- ½ tsp. kashmiri chili powder (mainly for color, you could use paprika)
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- oil to cook
- PICO DE GALLO-2 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- salt/pepper to taste
- fresh chopped cilantro
- YOGURT SAUCE-1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 garlic, grated
- ½ lemon, juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- some milk to thin out the consistency
- fresh cilantro
- Corn/flour tortillas
- FOR FISH-Mix all marinade ingredients together, add salmon and coat well. Set aside
- Using a non-stick pan, heat 1-2 tbsp. oil and pan sear the fish 2-3 minutes each side in batches. Cover and set aside.
- PICO DE GALLO-Dice tomatoes, onions and jalapenos by hand or using a food processor. Mix in lime juice, salt/pepper to taste and cilantro. Mix well. Set aside
- YOGURT SAUCE-In a small bowl add yogurt. Use a little milk or water to thin out the consistency of the yogurt. Add finely grated/minced garlic, lemon juice, salt/pepper and some finely chopped cilantro.
- Assemble the tacos, warm up the tortillas, add some fish, pico de gallo & yogurt.