This gorgeous summer dessert is perfect for any occasion. I used seasonal sweet strawberries, raspberries, blueberries & blackberries. I used a premade pie crust, so it’s simple and fancy. You don’t have to be a baker to make this, there is nothing that can go wrong with this deliciousness.
This dessert is similar to cobblers, crumbles, crisps & galette. They all are similar to a pie, all have some sort of fruit fillings. Cobblers have a biscuit topping, crisps have oat streusel topping and a crumble is similar to a crisp just without the oats in the topping. Galette is a rustic looking pie, has the pie pastry bottom with fruit piled in the middle and the sides of the pastry folded or wrapped over the fruit, it can be made sweet or savory.
I used the premade Pillsbury brand pie crust. It was not frozen, you get 2 pie crusts in 1 pack. For the top I only used 1 pie crust. If you want thin cut strips for a more detailed design go ahead and use the 2nd pie crust. Or just use 1 pie and cut strips very thin.
This is a great make ahead dessert, because as it sets the juices thicken more.
Use different varieties of berries, just make sure the total number of cups for berries is 6. You can definitely use some more berries if you are using a larger baking dish. I have also used frozen berries with this dish.
Keep in the mind the juicier the fruit the bottom layer will have all those extra juices.
You can use flour in place of cornstarch.
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup (6oz) blueberries
- 1 cup (6oz) blackberries
- 1 cup (6oz) raspberries
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup sugar (if your berries are not that sweet adjust the sugar) I also like some tartness of the fruit
- 4 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. any raw coarse sugar for sprinkling
- egg wash: 1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp. water to brush pastry
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Mix the berries with cornstarch, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, & vanilla. Gently mix the berries.
- Spread this mixture into a lightly greased baking dish close to 11x7 size.
- Unroll the premade pastry dough. If it's sticking to your surface use some flour.
- Using a pastry cutter or knife cut into ½ inch-1 inch wide stripes. (Depending on how detailed you want the pattern to be. You don't have to do the lattice (weave) pattern, you could just lay the strips down)
- Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Mixture will be bubbly with the thick juices.
- Serve warm or cold with scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- For lattice pattern:
- I kept my rectangle dish in a vertical position.
- lay the strips diagonally across the berries. Keep some gap in between depending on if you are using 1 or 2 pie crusts. Line the short strips towards the edges and longer strips in the middle.
- I first made the top half pattern than the bottom.
- To weave the lattice pattern. Pull back half way every other strip that you just laid and place a new strip perpendicular to the strips you have down already. Then lay back the strips you first pulled back.
- Than do the same with the next set of strips, pull back every other strip. Entire surface will be covered in this weave pattern. Trim any edges of the long strips.
- With any leftover scraps of pastry make a border. I used a flower cutter.