This fresh easy pasta salad comes together so quickly. It is loaded with so much Mediterranean flavor and pairs well with any menu. This pasta salad is great served cold, so it’s a prefect make ahead dish.
PASTA- I used Orzo pasta, it’s a short-cut pasta, shaped like a large grain of rice. But you can use other short pastas like penne, bow-tie, elbow or rotini past. If you like to leave it out you can, but adding the pasta makes it more fulfilling. If you don’t want to add pasta instead use chickpeas, couscous or quinoa.
VEGETABLES- You can use a blend of bell peppers. I like using the grape tomatoes on the vine. These are sweet and works well with the salty olives and feta. Adding some greens like arugula would also be great. Definitely don’t skip on the parsley and dill, they both add such a fresh element to the salad.
VINAIGRETTE- If you don’t want to make the dressing, you can use a store bought Greek dressing. I have used Red wine vinegar, but you can substitute with some Balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar or few teaspoons of Dijon mustard. Just lemon juice can be also used.
SUN-DRIED TOMATOES-These come as dry or in marinated in oil. Both should be fine to use.
These types of salads are usually served cold, so it’s a great make ahead dish. I think it pairs well with any menu and usually is a crowd pleaser.
Full recipe video
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 Green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup grape vine tomatoes, halved
- ½ large English cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup mixed olives, pitted/sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- small bunch fresh dill, chopped
- small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- VINAIGRETTE-1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar (see notes for substitute)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. salt (adjust salt to taste)
- Boil the pasta according to package instructions. After draining the pasta just drizzle some olive oil so it does not stick together. Set aside and allow it to cool. You don't want to add hot pasta to all the veggies.
- Transfer the cooled pasta to a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped veggies, olives, sun-dried tomatoes and herbs.
- In a small bowl whisk all the vinaigrette ingredients, mix until combined. Make sure to taste and adjust.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette on the salad and toss until well combined. Lastly add the crumbled feta cheese and toss to mix. You don't want to over mix the feta cheese. Give a taste and adjust any flavors like the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with extra feta cheese and herbs.