I always stock up on ground beef, because it just makes a quick meal. There are many dishes you can use ground beef in. I would say this ground beef curry is on my weekly menu because it easy, delicious and versatile.
Today I made it with peas and potatoes, but you can use different vegetables. Spinach, carrots and bell peppers work great in here too.
When I use ground beef, I prefer to use 85% lean. The fat brings some flavor. But you could also use more lean beef. You could also use ground chicken or ground turkey.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 green chili, chopped (optional)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1" piece of ginger, chopped or grated
- 2 med. tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 med. potato cut into small pieces
- few cinnamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1½ tsp. garam masala,cumin powder,coriander powder,
- ½ tsp.turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp. salt
- small fresh bunch cilantro, chopped
- Use heavy bottom pot
- Heat oil add onions. Sauté onions till golden brown
- Add garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, green chili, cinnamon sticks, cloves, Sauté till garlic/ginger not raw anymore, about 10-15 seconds.
- Add ground beef, break apart
- Add tomatoes
- Add ¼ cup water, add all spices, peas & potatoes. Mix well
- Cover with lid, check often to make sure not sticking to bottom of pan.
- After 12-15 minutes cooking on medium.
- Check to see if potatoes are cooked, water should be evaporated and some oil should be little separated.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro