One of my favorite things to cook for my family is breakfast/brunch! There is such a comforting feeling waking up on a Saturday morning while the kids are still asleep and getting started in my kitchen. As they wake up and come downstairs they smell their favorite breakfast/brunch foods, and nothing makes me happier than these memories we are creating. We leave Saturday mornings for lounging around and resting from the week. Home made French Toast is a favorite breakfast/brunch item that starts our day with love.
This is a basic French Toast recipe, you can definitely jazz it up. You can add some nutmeg along with cinnamon. Add some orange juice and zest for extra flavor. They can be served with your favorite eggs, yogurt parfait, fruit.
I made these with French Brioche bread today. This is a light fluffy sweet bread that can be easily found in the bread aisle. But if you don’t have this bread you can definitely use any sandwich bread you have around.
I used heavy cream but you can also use regular milk. I feel the heavy cream really gives it a nice light texture after being whipped with the eggs.
I also like to whisk all the ingredients really well with a hand electric mixer. This also makes the egg mixture so light/fluffy.
Leftovers can be cut into sticks or whole slices can be frozen in freezer-safe bag.
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1½ tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 7-8 slices of brioche French bread
- powder sugar for garnish (optional)
- Whisk together eggs, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon in a deep bowl with a hand electric mixer or whisk. Transfer mixture in a flat-bottom baking dish or any shallow dish.
- Melt some butter in a large skillet.
- Dip bread slice in egg mixture and flip make sure both sides are coated well.
- Place bread slice in skillet cook on medium low until light golden brown on each side. 2-3 minutes on each side.