One dish meals or casseroles are the ultimate solution for easy dinners or feeding a large crowd. Usually Tacos are everyone’s favorite dish because they are so versatile with all the toppings. Putting all the taco flavors in a casserole makes it a great make ahead and mess free meal.
I have made it pretty simple because that how my kids like it. But the options are endless.
I used tortilla chips as the base, you can use flour or corn tortillas for the base or even rice to make it more filling.
Layer with re fried beans, corn, salsa, black beans.
Use toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cheese, avocado, sour cream.
The chipotle peppers in the meat are very mild, adjust to taste.
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- ½. tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and 1 tbsp. of the sauce, chopped (using 2 peppers gave me a mild spice level, adjust to taste)
- 1 bag tortilla chips of choice
- shredded cheese of choice (I used nacho cheese blend) about 2 cups
- Toppings: onions, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, olives, jalapeno, cilantro, salsa.
- Heat oil, add onions, sauté for few minutes till translucent.
- Add garlic, sauté for 30 seconds
- Add ground beef, crumble with wooden spoon and let it sear for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, paste, cumin, paprika, salt/pepper, chipotle peppers/sauce. Let it cook on medium/low for about 10-15 minutes. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Use a baking dish. Start layering with crushed tortilla chips, some cheese, ground beef, cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven. Let it warm thru and cheese will melt. About 10 minutes
- Top with your favorite toppings and serve warm.