Hi Friends! I hope everyone had an easy transition for back to school week. My little ones are 1st and 4th grade and they are just loving it. During the summer our schedule is all over the place, staying up late, sleeping in, meal prep is not happening at all. But now it’s back to schedule and meal prep is in full swing. I really try to get the meal plan for the week done on the weekends and anything I can cook or prep helps during the week. Cooking for the day I try to do in the mornings because homework or afterschool activities take up most evenings. This recipe is a regular in our household for these busy school weeks. It’s wholesome, it’s versatile you can add any veggies in it as well. For quick meals I love using premade Italian sauce but adding fresh onion and garlic to it. But you could definitely use a homemade pasta sauce as well. This dish also feeds a crowd, another reason it’s my go-to. Kids love it served with garlic bread. I hope you try it and let me know how it was. Enjoy!
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 24oz jar of Italian sauce
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp. oil of choice ( I used olive oil)
- ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 8oz whole wheat pasta (use ½ of 16oz box, I used the Rotini that's the spiral shape)
- Use large skillet over medium heat add oil. Once oil is warm add onions sauté until translucent than add garlic sauté about a minute.
- Add ground beef and break up to desired consistency, than add pasta sauce. Continue to cook on medium heat until ground beef is no longer pink and sauce has become little thick. About 10mins
- Cook pasta per package instructions and drain
- Add the cooked pasta to the meat sauce, mix well.
- Lightly grease 13x9 baking dish or any oven safe casserole dish. Transfer to baking dish.
- Top with cheese bake in preheated 350 degrees F until cheese has melted.
If you like the sauce thicker you can continue to cook it a littler longer.
You can use the entire 16oz box of pasta, but for 1lb of ground beef I like to use just half the box, it's about 3 cups of pasta. But you can use any pasta.
I usually use any blend of cheese I have on hand. Use more or less.
The kids love this dish with garlic bread and a side of Italian dressing salad