Hi Friends! I have another easy South Asian recipe for you today, a delicious curry made with hard boiled eggs. I would say this is a meal for the days I am being lazy and don’t want to cook anything elaborate but still want to have something homemade. If you have eggs on hand and a few spices this meal will come together in no time, I promise. This also makes a great vegetarian curry or when you don’t feel like having a meat curry. My kids really enjoy it with rice, naan, roti or any flatbread. See recipe notes for any details for the actual recipe. I hope you try it and let me know how it was. Enjoy!
- 8 Eggs hard boiled
- 1 med. onion, finely chopped
- 3 med. tomatoes, pureed
- 4-5 garlic, minced
- ½ cooking oil of choice. I used light olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- fresh cilantro to garnish 2-3 tbsp.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- Place eggs in saucepan cover with water, cover pan with lid let it come to rolling boil. Than set timer for 12 min. Than place under cool running water to stop cooking and peel in cool water as well.
- In large pan heat oil and add onions. Sauté till golden brown. Than add garlic and cumin seeds. Sauté for about 10 sec till garlic is not raw.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and all the powered spices. Keep heat to med-low. Cook this mixture for about 10-15min. Till tomato/onion mixture has separated from oil a little bit and not watery. This will ensure the raw tomatoes and spices have been cooked. If you feel the mixture is sticking to pan, just add a little water.
- Add water, this will make more gravy. Add frozen peas. Let the peas warm thru, slice the eggs in half and place in the gravy. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
2. You can also add less water that will give you a thicker gravy or even add little more than 1 cup of water. That can just be a preference and if feeding more people than extra gravy will go long way.
3. You can also add diced potatoes in this with the peas or instead of the peas. You would just have to add them with the tomatoes so they have enough time to cook.