Hi friends! Aloo gobi is a very classic South Asian dish with cauliflower and potatoes. I always add peas to mine, the peas add just a little bit of sweetness and beautiful green color. I love dishes like these because they are one pot meals. This dish is easy, full of flavor and will become your family favorite too.
This is a dish that I have made so many times throughout the years. Everyone is usually expecting this delicious dish at family dinners. Aloo in Urdu means potato and gobi means cauliflower. I have really been trying to get all the classic/basic Pakistani dishes out to you guys. I am sure you guys will be surprised how easy this is to make.
You can definitely leave out the potatoes and peas. But the potatoes and cauliflower go really well together.
This type of dish does not have a gravy consistency sauce, the little sauce that is made with the use of onions and tomatoes is very thick. The water is only added to cook the cauliflower/potatoes.
It is your choice to leave the florets a little big. I think it takes longer for the cauliflower to cook if the florets are large.
Enjoy this dish with:
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets. Rinse & set in colander.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces than the florets, about ½-inch, keep in cold water to prevent browning
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated/minced garlic
- ½ tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp. chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 green serrano chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- ⅓ cup oil ( I use a neutral or light olive oil)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, warm oil over med/high heat. Add onions sauté till light golden brown about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin seeds, chili pepper. Saute till garlic not raw anymore about 10-15 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and all powder spices saute for few minutes.
- Add cauliflower, potatoes, peas-mix well coat vegetables in all the masala.
- Let cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add ⅓-1/2 cup water. Depending on how much water was released from rinsed cauliflower/potatoes/tomatoes. You don't want too much water. You can always add little bit more water if the cauliflower/potatoes not done.
- Cook for another 10-15 minues till cauliflower/potatoes are tender. Extra water should be evaporated.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.