This is a traditional Pakistani style Okra curry that is very easy to make. It’s sautéed okra in a delicious thick caramelized onion and tomato curry base. This type of curry is dry meaning it does not have a thin consistency curry sauce. You will find this recipe easy to follow, healthy and makes a great vegan option.
Choose okra that is small, these are more tender and don’t have large seeds.
When you wash the okra make sure to completely dry it.
Lightly pan frying/sautéing the okra will help get rid of the slime consistency that okra can have. To keep it light you don’t want to deep fry this. When frying use a light hand to toss the okra, or else it will break and you will have a lot of seeds in the curry.
I have made this spicy you can always adjust the green chili, chili flakes and the chili powder accordingly.
This type of curry is great served with roti or naan.
- 1 Ib okra, chopped
- 2 lg. onions, sliced
- 2 lg. tomatoes, diced
- few fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 1-2 green chili, chopped
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. dry red chili flakes
- 2 tsp. fresh garlic/ginger paste
- 1 tsp. red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- About ⅓ cup neutral oil
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Always go thru the entire recipe and make sure you have what you need. Get everything prepped and ready to go before you start.
- Wash and dry the okra than chop it. Set aside
- Heat 2-3 tbsp. oil in a heavy bottom pan, on medium heat. Add okra and sauté till golden brown. Try to use a light hand so not to break the okra pieces. Once golden brown take out in a plate and set aside.
- In same pan add more oil about 4 tbsp. oil and let it heat up. Add cumin and mustard seeds, let these splutter, than add onions, green chili and curry leaves. Let the onions caramelized, can take about 7 minutes. do stir occasionally.
- Add red chili flakes, garlic/ginger, sauté for about 20 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and all powder spices, mix well. Keep stove on medium, cover pan and let the tomatoes cook down that can take about 6 minutes. If mixture is sticking to pan add few tbsp. water to help cook the tomatoes. At this point if you feel like there is less oil you can also add another tablespoon or so.
- Once the tomatoes have cooked down, extra water has dried, some oil is separating from this onion/tomato mixture add back in the okra. Using light hand mix well. Cover pan and allow to cook for another 5 minutes. The okra will heat thru. Than it's done.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.