The best Egg Salad Sandwiches that are made with simple ingredients and very customizable. When I think of these sandwiches I’m thinking spring, summer, picnics, tea parties, bridal and baby showers. All you need are hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, onions, celery, fresh dill/chives, salt/pepper and your favorite sandwich bread. I promise you will make these again and again!
EGGS-For hard boiled eggs, I boil them for about 10-13 minutes depending on the size of the eggs. Soon as the timer goes off I drain the hot water and run cold water on the eggs, stopping the cooking. I find it easier to peel the eggs while hot. Than I cut the eggs in half separating the yolk from the white. I like to mash the yolks separately for a creamy texture. The whites I like to dice.
FRESH HERBS- I used dill and chives to add some freshness. You can also use parsley.
MUSTARD-I like to use spicy brown mustard for little intense flavor and country Dijon mustard. You can use any mustard you have on hand. Just remember 1-2 tablespoon is usually needed. Add little, taste it and adjust.
BREAD-I used croissants because that’s what my kids enjoy. Serve on any sandwich read, buns, rolls, sourdough or brioche.
Serve with salad greens like lettuce, watercress or arugula. You can also serve with crackers.
These egg salad sandwiches are best served cold. You can refrigerate the mixture up to 3-4 days.
Make it your own, add as much or less of any of the ingredients.
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- ½ small red onion, diced
- ½ celery stick, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- ⅛ tsp. salt/pepper (adjust to taste)
- 4 croissants
- Paprika for garnish
- Add enough water to a small sauce to cover the eggs. As the water starts to simmer gently add the eggs. Put on timer for 10-13 minutes depending on the size of eggs. Drain hot water and fill the saucepan with cold tap water to stop cooking. While the eggs are still warm peel the eggs and set aside.
- Cut eggs in half and separate the yolk from the white. Chop the egg whites. In a medium bowl add yolks, mayonnaise, mustard, salt/pepper and mash with a fork until creamy. Now add the egg whites, onions, celery, dill and chives. Mix well, give it a taste and adjust any flavors. Spread on you favorite bread, sprinkle with paprika and enjoy.